Thursday, December 10, 2020

SEW: The making of a poncho and a hat.

 A  couple of months ago I bought some purple polar fleece material to make dolls. yes dolls. Well that never happened and my second thought was making another polar fleece hat for myself- they block wind better. BUT lastly- one morning I was sitting here freezing my back off. I hate hate hate being cold but especially the area between my shoulder blades and of course my stomach. So I thought fuck it- how hard could  this be. I draped the material over my shoulders to get an idea of how big it should be each way. I think the stuff is sold in 60 inch widths. I had a little over a yard. Seemed like less than 36 inches would be fine for covering my back. So I had 12 inches left. And decided to make a hat too. 

BIG mistake.

The poncho turned out fine and I hand washed it today and it will take a couple of days to dry as we get maybe 3  hours total of sun on a "sunny" day LOL

Long story short on the hat. After multiple attempts to machine sew through 4 layers I gave up and had to stitch rip the entire thing good grief that was awful. So tense from doing that among other things I slept maybe 30 minutes that night. shoot me now.




the hat ugh






***

December 22 2020

finally got around to making 2 hats out of the one big mistake. Good enough for under another hat as a wind breaker. Lesson learned. The material rolls no matter how big a seam allowance. It is awful. So if I attempt this again I will try to find polar fleece that is fluffier and maybe hand stitch. In the process of doing this I went to finish two  wool knit hats and could not find my wool yarn needle. I looked everywhere obviously not where I found it- but it ended up in the container where I keep straight pins. Pins I rarely use and find a pin cushion even more ungainly than this way of storage but you do prick your fingers constantly reaching in for one fucking pin.



The pattern I got the idea from a woman on youtube she was elaborate. I just traced a hat I had that fit and stitched up each side leaving a gap at the top or about 2-3 inches. Then you sew that closed into 4 corners if that makes sense. It is a work in progress.


***


No comments:

Post a Comment